It is astonishing that the ANC-run Emfuleni Local Municipality allocated the ANC Caucus a whopping R778 800 while service delivery is non-existent in the area.
The ANC spent R142 000 of the allocated amount on a Lekgotla at the lavish Ingwe Lodge and a further R365 230 at the opulent Velmore Hotel on another Lekgotla.
Further to this unnecessary splurge of the people’s money, the ANC did not even have the decency to spend the money in the jurisdiction of the municipality. According to Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs MEC, Paul Mashatile, the municipality “does not restrict the Caucus Lekgotla from being hosted outside the Municipal jurisdiction…”
The Emfuleni Local Municipality under the money hungry leadership of ANC Mayor, Simon Mofokeng:
• Has not delivered much needed services – roads are ravaged by potholes, sewage flows through the streets, and refuse goes uncollected;
• Spent R1.7 million on Nandos, KFC and hotels;
• Has refused to divulge the business interests of Council members;
• Spent almost R50 million on Dickenson Park, which lies in ruin; and
• Has spent millions of the people’s money on security at the Mayor’s guesthouse.
These are but a few of the instances where the people of Emfuleni’s money is spent without consideration and the need to accelerate much needed service delivery programmes.
The Democratic Alliance will not allow Emfuleni to become an ANC bank account, while the people suffer under the most horrid of conditions.